Police are still investigating three reported overdoses that occurred near the Ohio campus on Wednesday night that killed two students.
Columbus, Ohio – Scene. A call that neither parent wants to think about.
“I just went downstairs and one of my roommates and two of her friends lost consciousness in the kitchen,” said 911.
Police were called to a house on East Lane Avenue near Ohio on Wednesday, and Ohio State University announced Thursday three students overdosedone died and the other was discharged from the hospital.
Ohio State on Friday confirmed that a second student had also died.
University President Christina Johnson said in a statement to 10TV that “these tragic deaths in our community in such a short period of time are devastating.”
“There is a white substance on the counter,” the 911 subscriber told the dispatcher. “I think they were doing some kind of drug. They are purple. Two of them do not react, and one – like a dry bunch.
Although the university office of student life sent out a safety notice to students on Thursday fake Adderall pills which appear to contain fentanyl, Ohio did not say what or why the students were taking.
“It can happen anywhere, and it happens everywhere,” Dr. Mouse Roberts said.
Roberts, the Columbus City Health Commissioner, calls it annoying both student deaths and the fact that accidental overdoses happen too often, saying that many times people think they are getting one without knowing what the product is and what the they can be.
“Manufacturers are really good at mimicking a real drug, and so you can buy something on the street or from someone else, and it can really look like the drug you were considering [get] but it can be fake or lace. ”
On Thursday night, Columbus Public Health issued its own warning about counterfeit Adderall pills containing fentanyl, near the Ohio campus. Dr. Roberts says all medications must come from a pharmacy or a reliable source in the original packaging. But she knows that counterfeit drugs are easy to find and buy.
She says that if you use something not prescribed to you, always take nalaxone, do not use alone and be sure to use test strips for fentanyl.
“I don’t think parents should be naive to the fact that drugs are readily available and used from high school,” Roberts said.
Roberts says these fentanyl test strips are available in many places for free, including Columbus Public Health.