Once again, no one hit the jackpot, but several players across the country won $1 million or more.
WASHINGTON – After a year of huge jackpots, lottery players are once again eyeing a jackpot of more than $1 billion that continues to grow.
Tuesday’s Mega Millions winning numbers were 7-13-14-15-18 and Mega Ball 9. Megaplier was 3.
For the 25th time in a row, there was no main owner. Since then, the jackpot has been playing October 14. The estimated jackpot for Friday’s drawing is now $1.35 billion.
There are no new billionaires, but many players will make a pretty penny on the five million dollar match option. Players from California, Florida, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania and West Virginia matched the first five numbers to win a million dollars. Three more lucky winners from Connecticut, Florida and New York hit the five-plus Megaplier and won $3 million.
While the billion-dollar jackpot is what draws players’ attention, it’s the annuity prize that will pay out over 29 years. Most winners want the money right away and take the cash option, which as of Tuesday stands at $568.7 million. In addition, part of the winnings will go to federal and in some locations state taxes.
Last year saw a miniature Golden Age of lottery jackpots, including a record Powerball prize of more than $2 billion. Even though the Mega Millions jackpot is halved, it’s no surprise that it will continue to grow, with player odds of 1 in 302.6 billion.
Changes Mega Millions and Powerball have produced huge jackpots in recent years, with most of the top 10 prizes won since 2017.
What are the biggest US lottery jackpots ever won?
- $2.04 billion Powerball, November 8, 2022 (one ticket, from California)
- $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee)
- $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
- $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
- $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
- $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
- $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
- $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
- $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
- $687.8 million, Powerball, October 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
When and where is Mega Millions played?
Mega Millions is played in 45 states as well as Washington, DC and the US Virgin Islands. Drawings are held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 PM Eastern (10:00 PM Central, 9:00 PM Mountain Time, and 8:00 PM Pacific).
The Associated Press contributed to this report.