The low game odds are designed to produce big prizes that attract more players.
WASHINGTON — A lucky winner in Washington state will take home the ninth-largest jackpot in U.S. history, a Powerball prize worth more than $750 million. There were also five winners in Michigan and New York and $2 million in Texas.
The Powerball jackpot grew to $747 million before Monday night’s drawing, but the eventual ticket sales spurred him on to $754.6 million.
This is the first Powerball jackpot winner since November 19, 2022. The jackpot has soared with each of the game’s three weekly drawings.
The stunning prize comes after a The Mega Millions prize pool is $1.35 billion someone won in Maine in January and set a record $2.04 Billion Powerball Jackpot won by a California player last November.
The $754.6 million jackpot is awarded to the winner who chooses an annuity paid over 29 years. Higher interest rates were allowed these annuity payments increase compared to earlier jackpots when the stakes were lower.
Most of the winners prefer the cash, which is estimated at $407.2 million for Monday night’s drawing.
The next drawing resets to a jackpot of $20 million.
Powerball winning numbers for February 6, 2023
The winning numbers for Monday February 6 are 5-11-22-23-69, Powerball 7 with a multiplier of 2 in Power Play.
Who won the Powerball jackpot?
According to the Washington Lotterya Powerball winner has 180 days to claim their prize.
What are my chances of winning Powerball?
The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are one in 292.2 million.
Over the past few years, huge lottery jackpots have become more common as lottery officials have changed the rules and ticket prices to increase the top prizes.
Powerball’s biggest change came in 2021, when officials decided to add a Monday drawing to the weekly slate of Wednesday and Saturday evening drawings. At the time of the announcement, Powerball said the addition of the Monday drawing would result in “bigger and faster jackpots.”
Powerball is played in 45 states as well as Washington, DC, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
What are the biggest US lottery jackpots ever won?
- $2.04 billion Powerball, November 8, 2022 (one ticket, from California)
- $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee)
- $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
- $1.35 Billion Mega Millions, January 13, 2023 (one ticket, from Maine)
- $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
- $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
- $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
- $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
- $731.1 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
- $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
The Associated Press contributed to this report.