The death toll from Monday’s devastating earthquakes and more than 300 aftershocks in southeastern Turkey and northern Syria passed 5,000 on Tuesday, authorities said, as crews scrambled to search for survivors amid the rubble of thousands of collapsed buildings. Aftershocks made the search itself dangerous.
The 5.7-magnitude aftershock occurred on Tuesday, officials said.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared a three-month state of emergency on Tuesday in 10 provinces in the earthquake zone, Turkish media reported.
Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay told reporters on Tuesday that 8,000 people had been pulled from the rubble. According to him, there are 20,000 people in national rescuers.
Tens of thousands of people were injured in the two countries.
Untold numbers of people were left homeless in the harsh winter conditions.
Countries from around the world began sending aid to the region. Oktay said rescue teams from 14 countries were already in Turkey, and teams from another 70 were expected within the day.