OTTAWA — An Ottawa elementary school was evacuated Monday morning as a precaution after a student reported smelling smoke.

According to an email from principal Audrey Beining, “the fire department was then called. The source of the smell turned out to be a short circuit in the outlet. The fire department investigated and determined the building was safe for staff and students to return to within a very short period of time.”

Bain said school maintenance personnel turned off the power at the damaged outlet and removed the damaged wiring. Then the outlet was closed.

“The district is working with a local electrical contractor to replace the damaged wiring and determine why the outlet shorted out,” Beining said in an email.

Contact Dean Brown at 567-242-0409.

Dean Brown joined The Lima News in 2022 as a reporter. Before The Lima News, Brown spent 38 years as an English teacher in Allen County, visiting Perry, Shawnee, Spencerville and Heir Force Community Schools. So they figured he could put together a few sentences about education and business in the area. An award-winning photographer, Brown enjoys watching old black-and-white movies, his dog, his wife and children, and his four grandchildren — not necessarily in that order. Contact him at [email protected] or 567-242-0409.